Tuesday, May 25, 2010

More Immigration News

I spoke with the immigration officer yesterday to get an update to see if his boss has reviewed everything.  He did say that the boss has not given it back to him yet but he thinks it should just be a few more days.  In the meantime I found out that we will not be able to do the final adoption while we are there.  I asked the attorney if we could apply to have a court appearance in July, we are not able to appear until after August 16th.  I figured what's one month give or take, right?  Well his response was that we absolutely can not apply until after Aug 16th.  Also, given that it is Africa it would take several months to get a date, then the government goes on break in Oct. so that would delay it by another several months.  So we are going to have to make two trips to Benin.  We are going to make a trip to pick her up & then we will go back to do the adoption later.

In addition, I sent an e-mail to the social worker who did our homestudy to get her opinion as to if it would hinder Tati & Brian's bonding if I went to pick her up by myself.  She said she doesn't think it would hurt anything at all, in fact, many famiilies do this to save $$ which is the same reason we are considering it.  This way I can have some intense time with her and when we get home I can back off and let him have some intense time with her.  He is going to be taking a couple of weeks off work so the 5 of us can spend time getting to know each other.

We are getting so excited, we can't hardly stand it.  Will post more as I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or ask questions. We appreciate knowing you are reading.